El Altar, Chimborazo and the indigenous protest

Riobamba is a strategic point for the most challenging trekking you have in Ecuador. El Altar in fact is just half an hour from there. It was my first solo trekking so I was very nervous. I guess I took with me food for 5 days, although I supposed to stay just 2 nights.

But I was so excited to go that I corrupted a taxi driver in order to take me to the Hacienda Releche, the starting point of the trekking. At that time all the streets were already blocked for a national protest. We had to leave my place at 5am, hoping noone was around at that time. And so it was.

The trek is very demanding. The first 3hours it's all about trying to stay on. A lot of mud and very slippery. On top of that, the refuge wasn't available so I had to camp. All alone for 2 nights. Started walking at 9am, arrived at 4pm, tent on, some food, a beer and some sleep. The 2nd day I could have seen the laguna Amarilla and leave but I decided to stay there for one more day. It doesn't really happen often you have a lagoon all for you. The national strike gave me this good gift.




























Third day just returning to Riobamba, hitchhiking. Still I felt few times. The muddy path was really challenging. Started walking at 6.45am, arrived at the entrance of the park at 1pm.

But Riobamba also hosts the highest volcano of Ecuador, the Chimborazo, 6263mt above the sea level. Although I didn't reach the top, I arrived walking at the Laguna Condor at 5100mt. After that you need a guide and technical equipment.








Hiking these two volcanoes has been very challenging for me but very rewarding. When you overcome your own fears and limits you feel good.

Maybe for this reason I didn't mind a lot to be forced in Riobamba during the protests. I decided to go around with my phone, recording interviews and taking pictures of the manifestations.

The protests were known as the Indigenous strike. Eventually they were the majority in the streets. It was something new for me.

They showed their strength to everyone else. They won their battle against the President Lenin Moreno. Although some of them have been arrested and few killed.
















Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

The unknown Bolivia: Tupiza

A wonderful boat trip from Iquitos, Peru, to Coca, Ecuador. And few more info

Latacunga, a small city between a huge lagoon and a massive volcano